What questions should you be asking your child care provider?
Last week we posted just a few laws and regulations about child care providers in South Carolina, but not all child care providers are required to follow those rules necessary to be licensed by the state. Making sure your provider meets those regulations is crucial to a safe and healthy environment for your child, but do you know the questions to ask when selecting a child care provider?
Questions to ask your child care provider:
- Is the provider licensed? If so, is the license displayed?
- Are cleaning products and other harmful substances kept away for children?
- Do cribs and other equipment meet federal standards?
- Does the provider require staff to receive regular, ongoing training about child care?
- Is there enough staff caring for the number of children present?
- Is food properly labeled and stored to protect against contamination?
- Does staff make sure that children’s hands and faces are clean?
- Do the children appear to be playing and happy?
- Does the provider post a daily menu of meals and snacks? Does it list whole grains, fruits and vegetables, and limit sweets and processed foods?
- How does the provider handle food allergies?
- How is medication labeled and stored?
- Are you welcome to drop in to see your child at any time?